The small council is a small group of advisers which advises the King of the Seven Kingdoms on matters of policy and their areas of expertise. It is not known when the first small council assembled, but it was in all likelihood during the reign of the first Targaryen kings. The council is headed by the king, the only one who can make the council's decisions into law. In his absence the role falls to the Hand of the King or the regent if the king is too young.
The council members are appointed and dismissed by the king as he wills, a right freely used during times of war and strife. However, it seems that traditionally the council consists of seven permanent members, after the Andal traditions and the Faith of the Seven. However, it not unusual for the council to boost several extra bodies who act as advisers.
Small Council under King Lucerys I Targaryen Edit
- Hand of the King, chief advisor and is the executor
- Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, most senior sworn brother of the Kingsguard. Title currently held by: Ser Corlys Velaryon
- Master of Coin, Head of the Treasury and oversees the finances of the kingdoms. Title currently held by: Lord Rodric Darry
- Master of Laws, oversees the administration of law and justice system of the kingdoms. Title currently held by: Lord Ryam Tarly
- Master of Whisperer, spymaster and head of intelligence. Title currently held by: Yoren "the Fox"; formerly Lord Cedrik Bolton
- Master of Ships, oversees the Royal Navy. Title currently held by: Needs to be appointed
- Grandmaester, head advisors on matters of law and wisdom. Appointed by the Citadel. Title currently held by: Grandmaester Barton