Lord Paramount is a title in the Seven Kingdoms created by the Targaryens during the War of Conquest, three centuries before the War of Five Kings and six centuries before the start of the First Era. It is a hereditary title passed most commonly from father to son. It is bestowed upon a major noble house with great power, wealth and influence. Lord Paramounts are charged with ruling one of the unified Seven Kingdoms, under the overall rule of who ever sits on the Iron Throne.
Although Westeros technically has nine constituent regions, there are only Eight Lord Paramounts in the realm. The houses which held this prestigious title had remained largely unchained since the founding of Targaryen rule, however after the Baratheon's brief reign on the Iron Throne and the major conflict known as the Clash of Kings, the line-up of Lord Paramounts was subsequently altered to a great extent.
Under the new Targaryen dynasty founded by the union of Aegon, Sixth of his Name, and Daenerys Stormborn First of her Name, the Lord Paramounts have remained mostly the same:
Start of A Song Begins:
- The head of House Targaryen, King of the Andals and First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and rules the Crownlands. Briefly held by House Baratheon after Robert's Rebellion before their extinction. Currently held by: King Lucerys I Targaryen
- The head of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount and Warden of the North. Currently held by: King Walton II Stark following Rodwell Stark's murder.
- The head of House Arryn, Lord of the Eyrie, Lord Paramount of the Vale and Warden of the East. Currently held by: Lord Ronnel Arryn, following his father's suicide.
- The head of House Tully, Lord of Riverrun, and Lord Paramount of the Trident. Currently held by: Lord Robyn Tully with Lord Edwyn Frey serving as Regent.
- The head of House Harlaw, Lord of Ten Towers, and Lord Paramount of the Iron Isles. Previously held by House Greyjoy before their extinction. Currently held by: Lord Beron Harlaw
- The head of House Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands and Warden of the West. Currently held by: Lord Gerion Lannister with Lady Martesse Lannister serving as Regent.
- The head of House Connington, Lord of Griffin's Roost, Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. Previously held by House Baratheon before their extinction. Currently held by: Edric Connington
- The head of House Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach and Warden of the South. Currently held by: Lord Garth Tyrell
- The head of House Martell, Lord/Lady of Sunspear, styles themselves Prince or Princess of Dorne. Currently held by: Princess Ellaria Martell, after Prince Olyvar Martell's sudden death.